Brace yourselves for clear skies and sunny days. The latest Met forecast declares “high UV levels” are to be expected after a previous period of unsettled weather in the UK. Thus, the experts advise Britons to take precautions and wear suncream when going out under the sun, even if the mornings feel breezy and “a little bit fresh”.
According to the meteorologists over at Met, temperatures will hit 24°C (75.2°F), though some weather charts show thermometers shoot up to 29°C (84.2°F). Early forecasts predict the heat rising steadily through the next six weeks, with sweltering sunshine for the summer’s kick-off.
Here are a few quick tips on what you can do to protect yourself (and your precious skin) from the heatwave.
- Dress properly. Wear loose and light-colored clothing. Ditch the blacks and dark hues for a while. Why? Dark clothing absorbs light, while light-colored clothing actually reflects it, so your clothes are more breathable and you feel cooler.
- Shade yourself. If you can’t avoid the outdoors, use an umbrella or wear a wide-brimmed hat for additional sun defense. Also, wear sunglasses that have UV protection.
- Drink plenty of water. With the heat from the external environment, it’s important to keep the body cool and hydrated. Drink lots of cool water during this weather (although you really should be drinking plenty everyday)
- Stay out of the sun especially between 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. This is when the sun rays are particularly strong, and you don’t want to be getting heat stroke or sunburn.
- Limit your time under the sun. When doing outdoor activities such as sports, the time spent in the sun must be shortened. Frequent water breaks should also be done to avoid dehydration.
- Wear less makeup. The sun can be unforgiving to makeup, causing it to melt and move around. Especially in the anticipated hot weather, creasing and caking might happen. Apply the “less is more” principle, using a tinted moisturizer and concealer where needed.
- Use sunscreen. We cannot stress this enough: wearing your sunscreen every day is an important step to taking care of your skin. It prevents premature aging and decreases the risk of having skin cancer. Pick a sunscreen that has a broad-spectrum coverage, meaning it shields against UVA and UVB rays.
Don’t want to lather on sticky suncreams and lotions? We recommend the Brush on Block SPF 30. It’s like a makeup brush with MINERAL POWDER sunscreen. So it’s non-sticky, easy to apply, and provides effective UV protection. It can be applied over or under your makeup without the icky feel. The Brush on Block SPF 30 is also suitable for all skin types and all ages. Yes, it’s safe and children can absolutely use it. Plus, it’s totally refillable! Talk about bang for your buck!
The sun is definitely going to be shining strong, so your sunscreen game must be stronger. Keep in mind the tips we listed above and you’re sure to be protected from the sun’s harmful rays.